RE: the passing of American mechanics

To: "Diane S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>
Subject: RE: the passing of American mechanics
From: "Don Collins" <decolins@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:21:17 -0500
Diane,
This sounds like last week for me. I took the 70B to get inspected after
being down for 9 months down to a engine rebuild. I went to my usual place
but the inspector was off for the day. I went down the road a bit to another
"quick oil" place so they could do the inspection. The kid came out and
first of all could not figure out how to start the B. (I should have left
then) I go out and show him how to start it. He complains the brakes are too
hard (duh? can u say no booster on a 70? and yes they are working right)
Then he drives the car into the back of the shop against the wall and leaves
it running. (it is 95 outside so you can imagine what the inside temp is
like). When he is trying to find the bonnet release he switches off the fan
and in about 10 min the car over-heats. Ok about this time I am really
getting pissed but it was easy to get her back and running so I continued
with the inspection. They then tell me the B needs to go up in the air for a
"visual". I question this and I tell them that none of my cars have ever had
to have this (I have 4 to do every year). I agree to this (what the heck for
most everything under the car is new anyways). Well here comes the fun part.
He comes out and tells me that my B fails due to a lack of the cad.
converter. I inform the young man that a 1970 car would not have this on it
and he needs to go back and study about cars more.
Needless to say I will not be visiting that place anymore. Any listeners in
Austin email me off list and I will tell u where.
Don Collins
Austin, TX
70B
70BGT