Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: "Mike Barron" <jmikebarron@hotmail.com>, cessna@speakeasy.org,
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:52:00 -0600
I don't think so. American mechanics may fade away but old cars will live
forever. I've been living in remote areas too long although I now live in
the large metropolis of Billings, Montana, which still suffers a British
car shortage. But each place I've lived in always had at least a few
general shop with mechanics that knew general automotive techniques and
were not afraid to try something different and do it right. Over the years,
I did on two occassions have shops work (transmission rebuilds) on my car
but I provided my Haynes manual and pictures so they knew what to do.

I figure when I get old and maybe retire, maybe I'll just work on Mgs to
get me by through geezerhood. And I'm teaching my relatively energetic 16
year old son now about the art of MG ownership. Kids at his school think my
BGTs are pretty cool cars. So I think a resurgence may be seen in the
future. These cars are inexpensive to own and work on - truly a bargain
even today.

Some places just set a bad example. These oil changing places employ
minimum wage kids to perform simple tasks. Remember the old Fram
commercials where they showed a monkey changing the oil? Some things never
change.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT