Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)

To: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Subject: Re: Filling steering rack, '69 B.(longish)
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:47:30 -0500
 Hans, what are you smokin'?  ;^)

  The only thing that keep the oil in the rack is the gaiters.  There's
ALWAYS going to be oil in the gaiters when the rack is topped up
correctly.  It looks to me that when the rack is half immersed in oil
with the steering centered, the gaiters will be half full.  If the oil
level drops to the point that the gaiters contain little oil then the
tie rod ball sockets won't be getting proper lubrication.  Time to top
it up.  The only way to see how much oil is in the rack assy is to
remove the damper and look to see.  Can't do that with your syringe in
the gaiter.

  OK, case closed.  I'm done writing about it.  Fill it how you will;
it's your car.

  Cheers,

  CR