Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:13:37 -0500
Hi Tab,

  Forget the anti-OD bunch.  They just feel that way.  It's like having
a toothache.

  ODs save gas and wear.  How much is according to how you drive the car
and  the terrain you drive it over. It also depends on how efficient the
car is to start with.  If the car is a gas hog because the engine is not
in tune, the OD may not help much.

  Look, I have a '69 B roadster.  When I'm running on the freeway at 70
mph and engage the OD, I have to back out of the throttle to maintain
the 70 mph.  Now, that has to mean something.

  I haven't had a chance to clock this car but in the '70 B w/OD that I
had before, the OD was good for ~5 mpg on the flats, cruising at 70
mph.  I can vouch for these figures because I built the engine that was
in the car, took it on a trip to CO, and put the OD in it later.  After
that we drove the car from TX up through OR and home.  I was paying
attention to gas mileage during both of those trips.

  There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, such as mine, to extoll the
virtues of OD.  There is also plenty of scientific data available to
prove that ODs work.

  Ida no about the vibration, didn't read about that.  Replacing the
tranny to cure a vibratiuon seems chancy to me.

  CR