Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)

To: jello@ida.net
Subject: Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:05:09 -0700
Regarding wear on the engine, since so many people have mentioned it...

One would think so, but last fall I asked about increased wear on the
engine, or the dangers of running at 4000 to 5000 rpms continuously, as it
was apparently that's what I'd have to do in highway traffic.

The consensus from people who rebuilt engines for a living was that there
was no appreciable difference.  If anything, sometimes the engines were
better since they'd been "cleaned out".

Wear and tear on the driver were something else, but the engine itself did
not suffer unduly.

However, effect on MPG did not come up at that time, which is why I brought
that up now.  But lest we reopen the other thread, the learned consensus
was that the engine was okay - not what I expected for an answer, but then
again, I don't rebuild engines for a living.

- Tab