Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: RPM=MPG? (Justifying OD)
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:29:48 -0600
Well officially the car is tuned very well - good compression, valves are at
proper clearance, timing is correct, carbs tuned etc. BUT (that's my big
butt) my MGA (with an MGB motor and rear axle ratio) is faster, and gets
better mileage, so that leads me to say the B has some inadequate tuning.
Anyhow, the 30 miles each way is 1.5 miles residential, 8 miles of highway
driving (55mph no lights or stop signs), and 20.5 or so freeway (75mph
steady).  If my MGA gets 30 mpg under these conditions without overdrive,
and my MGB gets 23 +/- 2 mpg whether using overdrive or not (and I have
tested that), I have to say the OD isn't helping me, and the B needs an even
better tune.  Sometime I'll take care of it, but the B also needs rockers
and paint sooner or later, and I think I'll do it all at once when I take
care of the car.

Phil Bates