Re: Negative A-arms

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Negative A-arms
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:41:58 EDT
In a message dated 21/07/00 1:10:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I like the negative A arm set up, and I
>  am about to fit a set this very day. I will use these arms on the street as
>  well as the track, but I do also understand and know the consequences of
the
>  use of these arms.
>  >  What do you other guys think?

I think that it doesn't make a lot off difference to the way most street
vehicles are used, and will contribute to tire wear.

Adding negative camber is useful on a race car or slalom car, but for best
results should be done in conjunction with other mods to do things like
adjust spring rates (and minimise the bump steer that  adjustment of the
other parameters can lead to).

Frankly, for the street the best bang for the buck on either MGA or MGB is a
suitable front sway bar, then perhaps a bit stiffer shocks (don't just add
heavier oil, you'll blow your seals unless the shocks are new, and contrary
to another thread I saw, do not use motor oil, much less multigrade - use
motorcycle shock oil, available from most bike shops).

I would also go to 5 or 5.5" wheels with decent rubber - 185 size on the MGA
and MGC.

Beware 'flavour of the month' parts that suddenly hit outlets like Moss.
Often they are answers to questions that no one asked (like Mallory
distributors), or items that while appearing to be 'racy' and therefor
attractive to the Walter Mitty crowd, have hidden (at least to the
uninitiate) drawbacks that the vendors somehow never seem to get around to
mentioning.

I would also like to agree with everything in Kelvin's response about the way
some people end up gumming up their cars, from not really knowing what they
are doing.
But it was ever thus.

Bill