Re: What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?

To: "WSpohn4@aol.com" <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Subject: Re: What's the Fascination with Guns and Cars?
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:47:02 -0700
Bill:

I think it has mosly to do with the way boys are raised in the US.  The are
taught to be "manly".  They should never show weakness, emotions, cry, etc.,
but must be agressive, competive, independent, I can do it now (impatience), or
in today's terms; "macho."

Another, is the American attitude that bigger is better and finese doesn't count
as it means you're a wimp. Everything has to be NOW.

This has manifested itsef in the current trend of owning "huge" SUV's and vans.
These are designed to be aggressive.  I (the vehicle and hence the driver) can
go anywhere when I want, I can do anything, nothing can stop me, "damn the
torpedoes full steam ahead concept", etc. It can be done NOW, I don't need to
wait.

Look at what American manufactures build, or have built, for "sports cars":
Corvettes, Cobras, Thunderbirds, Camaros, Mustangs, TansAms, etc. HUGE
thunderous, and many times ill handling, automobiles. If they started small,
they soon grew in size: Thunderbirds, Mustangs, etc.  They even forced some
foreign sports cars to "grow up": i.e. Datsun 240Z.  Notice the names used for
US "sports cars."  "Thunder"bird, "Mustang" evoke wild untamed things.  Consider
also what has happened to America's military Jeep which is now the HUMVEE.

This also shows up in the stock market and business.  I can may lots of money,
NOW, to heck with the future or working my way up.  Me first.

IMO most people don't need HUGE SUVs as the vehicles attributes are seldom used.
But, as I have been told many times, the driver just MIGHT need that SUV's
capabilites sometimes because they can't wait until later after the snow, rain,
etc.

This aggressiveness also shows itself in regards to firearms. The mountain man
taking on the wild world, the cowboy facing the untamed west alone, etc.

I hunt and own firearms.  I also decry the image American media portrays that
guns main purpose are for assaulting people.  I enjoy the out of doors, the
skill involved in hunting, and the flavor of the meat. I also like to tinker
with firearms: clean and adjust, admire the craftsmanship, reload, etc.  It is,
I suppose, a feeling of self sufficiency, but you don't have to be agressive,
"in your face" about it.

My SUV is a small pickup, and I like small nible economical vehicles.  If I am
cautious and think about it, I can go just about anywhere most SUV's can most of
the time.  However it does take some planning and forthought, and I can't always
do something NOW.

Blake

BTW, I like the original jeep concept and would like to have one of the early
simple flat head four KISS examples.