Re: rear end shims/clunk

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end shims/clunk
From: "Diane S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:24:22 -0700
thanks that is a good question.

No, I described the same thing a classic mgb 'clunk', they seemed to know
exactly what I'm talking about. No asked me btw about universals either.
which I'll check again but the clunk sometimes is very audible and you can
feel it in a way through the whole car.

I did bring the car into a professional English car restoration place and
they said the universals were fine and the clunk was definitely from the
rear.

lately at very low speeds there is a new shuddering effect sometimes, but
not all the time, like the clutch is slipping, this seems to come and go
with the clunk, or it happens when I would of heard a clunk.

I guess it pays to keep the radio turned up.

I specifically mentioned replacing the thrust washers.
One guy called the '77 mgb steel wheel spicer rears as 'works of art' and it
takes a lot of time to get them right, possibly up to $800. he didn't want
the job, and told me to just get a good used rear.

I don't have a lift, and I wouldn't mind paying someone something reasonable
to do it, that and a few other things.
I've called about 5 places and have more or less gotten the same answer,
they are familiar with it, but they don't want the job themselves.

thanks a bunch for listening, Diane