Re: Car Alarms

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Alarms
From: Dave Tietz <mgcats@ij.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:46:58 -0400
Joe,

I think the best thing is a secret switch that enables/disables the fuel
pump. It is cheap, easy to install in the MGB and most MGs, and would
force a thief to tow the car away. Basically, insert a switch in series
with the fuel pump lead (white, in the bundle near the fuse
block/starter solenoid corner of the engine compartment.

With the fuel pump disabled, the car may run for a moment, but will soon
fuel starve, and if the thief has moved it out of it's space, he isn't
going to trouble-shoot it.

For your safety, you should put a small Radio Shack beeper across the
switch (in the proper polarity-check w/voltmeter). This, to remind you
the fuel pump is
disabled when you turn the ignition on (so you don't forget yourself,
and start to pull out in traffic).

If you have bullet connectors and white wire, you can make it impossible
to detect under the hood, and hide the switch behind the dash. Plus, you
aren't altering the car permanently.

I do it to all my cars, alarm equipped or not. I started when my '90
Chysler got took, and haven't lost one since.

Dave Tietz

'70 MGB w/switch
'94 Miata w/switch & alarm
'98 Camry w/switch & alarm

Garner, Joseph P. wrote:

Hi everyone,

Do you guys have any hot tips on car alarms. I'm looking to fit one, and i
was wondering about the following things:

1. Best place to mount the alarm? Not necessarily under the hood i guess,
but i can't think of anywhere else. with a 79B you don't have that
convenient second empty battery compartment.
2. Where to fit the dash LED. There's no way in hell i'm drilling a hole in
my dash, or any other part of the car for that matter, for something
that is
entirely cosmetic.
3. Are there any features you guys consider essential? Shock, voltage and
sound sensor obviously, but beyond that i was wondering about the usefulness
of things like starter-disable in a car where it would be very easy to reach
in, pop the hood, and circumvent the alarm anyway!
4. any other advice that springs to mind

Cheers

Joe.