Re: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:43:02 -0700
Wow, I've never seen anything like that either.  I actually started out
with the stock pushrods I picked out at a junkyard (sorry, "recycler")
and I had the same noise.  I bought the Crane lifters from VB to see if
they would help, but there was no difference.

It looks like a valve stuck or valve float caused this, is it possible
you over-reved the engine?  Were you running stock or ratio rockers?
Failure of some valve keepers?   I've seen keepers fail due to improper
hardening on some Vanagon heads that were made in Spain, so it can
happen.

Thanks for the info, I'll check these rods and may go back to stock.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia