RE: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS

To: "'Barney Gaylord'" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: RE: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:25:53 -0700
Barney:

        The other day I was thinking (I know, dangerous).  I have always
taken for granted that the pushrod and tappet swap was a no-brainer.  One
thing that has always niggled has been understanding that there was a change
in head thickness along the way.  Eyeballing the tappets and pushrods that
are on hand, the later setup is about 1/4" shorter than the early set.  I
was wondering if anyone had run into any geometry or adjustment problems
with this conversion.

        Did you notice any problems with your setup in the 1500, as this
would probably be the most critical application.

        It is a concern, as I am seeing a number of inexperienced people
building 1500 engines using untried combinations of parts.  It suddenly
becomes the vendor's fault when a combination such as; highlift cam, high
ratio rockers and crossflow head cause valve interference with the 1500
block.

Kelvin.