Re: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve clatter-help! WARNING - DISASTER LOOMS
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:40:59 -0700
Hmmm, I would believe it if someone were to argue that the 3-piece
pushrods were designed with hydraulic lifter applications in mind, and
that the pounding they take from large-clearance mechanical applications
like the B engine can potentially lead to failure. But I don't know of
any authority for this opinion.

I am using the 3-piece pushrods in my Mopar V8, but only because I went
from solid lifters to hydraulic, and needed a custom length. The original
Chrysler pushrods were one-piece, FWIW, even in this high performance
application.

What's the big benefit with these tubular pushrods on the B, anyway? Low
reciprocating mass isn't exactly the thing's strong suit. Hardly seems
necessary on a street engine, anyway.

Barney Gaylord had this to say:

--

Max Heim