Re: Cracked Head?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cracked Head?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:46:11 +0000
Just a comment here (and it may or may not be directly relevant in this
case) but just make sure you are solving the real problem before you go
to lost of trouble and expense.  As irrelevent as this may be strictly
in your case, it is worthy of comment and/or debate.  When you read
'weep' below, maybe you can replace it with 'steam' if you have lost
sufficient coolant from elsewhere - I will leave that to the experts and
bow to their expertise and experience.

I expect a decent flame or two for what I am about to say (I have
mentioned this before and still haven't learnt to duck) but a weeping
head is not necessarily a cracked or blown head.  I made this mistake
last year when I added $500 (most expensive head job I have ever had) to
a holiday by getting a problem that wasn't a problem fixed.  I had
driven over 1500 miles, much of it at 75mph or so in 80 degree heat, and
to my horror lifted the bonnet/hood to see a significant amnount of
coolant weeping from the head.  Hence the head job.

Since that time I can confirm, from witnessing a number of similar
incidences regularly at the race track, that a 'B head will weep after
being stressed at high revs.  It then cools down and seals up again.

After a 6 minute sprint (reving over 5000 in most gears) I can get a
decent weep happening, but then drive the car daily at street stresses
and not see any sign of it.  This has been going on for two years.

Maybe what you are seeing requires further investigation - or maybe you
have blowna gasket or even cracked a head.  For $AU500 - I am more
careful about jumping to conlusions nowdays.

There you go... it is almost 03:00hrs and I am tired and fed up.

Beat me... beat me!

Eric
'68MGB MkII