Re: Fwd: Re: Cracked Head?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Cracked Head?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:09:41 -0600
I have used these Bar's (or is it Bardahl) stop leak pellets and it does
not surprise me that it would stop the leak, at least so long as this stuff
stays in the radiator in sufficient concentration. But next time, you
change your coolant, it will start leaking again until you add more of this
stuff.

I am also curious as to any deleterious effect this stuff may have. I used
it in my Toyota Landcruiser for a few years when the top seam on the
radiator started leaking due to a split. I was living in the desert then
and while using this stuff, it seemed like the car started running a lot
hotter than it normally would. I eventually had the radiator rodded out and
the seam welded. I can't say for sure, but I thought this stop leak stuff
was perhaps coating the coolant jacket surfaces and reducing cooling
efficiency but again, it was only a gut feeling. The car survived quite
well in the end. But I have remained skeptical on the use of this stiff for
anything but a temporary stop gap fix.

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT