Re: Petrol problems in Europe

To: gb@the-bdc.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Petrol problems in Europe
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:25:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/00 1:59:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gb@the-bdc.com
writes:

<< Here in the motor city each pump states that 37.x cents per gallon are for
 state and federal taxes.  We are currently paying anywhere from US$1.49 to
 US$1.69 per gallon for 87 octane.  More affluent areas are charged the
 higher amount, oddly enough, quite consistantly across brands.  Naw, no
 collusion going on here. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I really hate to defend any of this, and I don't like paying $1.67 per gallon
for gas (today, 89 octane Hess), but first, keep in mind that we have the
lowest gas prices in the world (except maybe for government officials in
Kuwait), and second, gas taxes are (mostly) used to maintain the roads.
Federal taxes maintain Interstates and US Routes.  State gas tax maintains
state routes, and local taxes maintain local roads.  At least, that's what
they would have us believe.  The condition of the roads in PA indicate that
we should be charging about $5.00 for gas!

It really isn't a bad deal, unless we get to the point of UK petrol prices.
I heard on the news today that Spain is now having the protests and
blockades.  Tony Blair's long arm reaches all the way to the Iberian
Peninsula!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget