Re: How many miles on a tank?

To: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Subject: Re: How many miles on a tank?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 07:40:11 -0400
Hans,
  In a little notebook I record each fuel purchase--date, mileage, cost
and gallons bought. This is handy in my GT with its erratic fuel gauge,
and in my TD. TDs do not have a gauge, relying on a light to come on at
three gallons remaining.
  So, estimating my fuel consumption in each car to be about 25 miles per
gallon, I can estimate the distance before running out of fuel.  The
reset odometer in the GT is useful for keeping track.
  This fuel tax discussion fits here, as the original reason for keeping
this notebook.  At one time, a motorist could deduct from Federal taxes
the cost of State gasoline taxes. Keeping a book was the way to document
the fuel purchases.  That tax reduction is long gone, but it's a habit
now, and it is in that book that oil changes and other maintenance
records can be kept.
Bob