Hood (Bonnet) release.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hood (Bonnet) release.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:15:43 -0400
Well, I've fixed one of three problems.

Bought the 73 B a week and a half ago, drove it home, the brakes were only a
rumor, so I pulled it in the driveway, went in to move the pile of boxes and
kids bikes out of the way, and went to pull it in. Engine cranked once and
*click* nothing. no electric. So I go to pop the hood, the hood release wont
budge.

So last night I realized that I was being an idiot, that the batteries arent
in the engine compartment, they're behind the seats. Popped the lid,
reseated the battery cables (which were corroded), and electric came back,
sort of. Battery power is so low, it wont crank.

I've decided to do the single 12v battery upgrade, which I will tonight.
Something about jumpstarting two batteries bothers me, so I'll just fix it
that way.

So my next step is to bleed the brake lines and check the brake fluid
levels. Which I cant do with the hood closed.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but on the driver's side under the dash
is a round knob labeled "B" which I believe to be the hood release. When I
looked at the damn thing to buy it, the PO opened the hood for me. I watched
him do it. He also shut it.

I've put everything I have into the knob and it doesnt budge. It's not that
it moves and nothing happens, the knob does not move at all. I had my father
in law (One of the strongest men I know, does construction work, huge arms)
pull on it too, and nothing.

How the heck do I proceed? I'd like to try bleeding the brakes before I tow
it someplace to get an overhaul.

I tried to search archives of this list, but that page on team.net is
broken. (lwgate or something). How the heck do I release the hood?

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |