Re: MGB Tube Shocks

To: fwp@ufl.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Tube Shocks
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:23:41 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/00 2:30:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fwp@ufl.edu
writes:

<< Yes, it is an issue of cost. I do not wish to close the door on putting
 lever shocks on my B but have MANY other items to spend money on. I would
 rather go inexpensive but safe on the rear shocks and spend money on
 rebushing my carbs, new tires, or new carpet, maybe leather seat covers, big
 list! If I go tube today I get a safe car for about half the cost and still
 have my lever shocks to exchange down the road. I'd be happy to stay with
 levers if I could do it for $50US, any offers ;^)But we'll see what
 happens... >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is the B that much cheaper to convert to tube shox than the Spridget?  The
rear tube shock conversion kit from Moss for chrome bumper Spridgets is
$329.95.  I'm guessing that rebuilding lever shox is less than $165.00 each.
Maybe Peter C. wouldn't mind letting us know what an average rebuild costs,
'specially if we ask him nicely.  (He does as too good of a job of NOT
promoting his business on the list, if you ask me.)

Maybe tube shocks are just a bolt on conversion for the B, but Spridgets
don't have a place to hang them without special plates.  I figure, if you are
good enough to take on the job of making up the conversion yourself, and
finding the correct shocks that won't bottom out or cause other problems by
being too long or too short or too wide, you are probably good enough to
rebuild your own lever shox.

Also keep in mind that rebuild lever shox will last a LOT longer than tube
shox.

(Is it shox or shocks?  Or shoos and shox?  :-)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport