Re: MGB Tube Shocks

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB Tube Shocks
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:45:00 -0400
My original statement of  ' ..not much different....' at least in my case...
my problem was more one of spring rate for the bounce not my shocks
(which was the original reason for trying them).

Simply logic tells you tubes are better.  Armstrongs have a 'dead zone'
..that small motion that must transpire before the valve reverses and
create any resistance in the opposite direction to the new direction of motion.

Tubes don't. What this amounts to, is Armstrongs will not smooth out
as small a motion as tubes will. Plain and simple. Physics is physics.

Tubes also exhibit a logarithmic rather than linear response to movement.
The farther the tube is compressed, usually results in greater damping
forces. An Armstrong's damping is the same regardless of position within
it's range of operational motion.

Hence a tube shock will smooth out greater, and smaller, bumps in
the road, better than an Armstrong ever could.

BUT!  Now you need to apply the technology to the vehicle.
..'whole 'nother story!

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com