Re: MGA Tranny

To: frankk@intap.net
Subject: Re: MGA Tranny
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:45:49 -0500
Well, hi y'all,

Gosh, Frank.  I was trying not to waste the bandwidth on the list for
thrashing the same subject too often.  But if you insist, ....

At 05:11 PM 10/19/2000 -0400, frank krajewski wrote:
>.... I guess the first thing is to determine which gearbox I have in my
car. Will the year of VIN number help is identifying how "late" or "early"
the MGA is and thus help me to identify just which box I have?

Unless you like lottery, absolutely not!  So many of these old cars have
long since been refitted with odd parts that there is litterally NO WAY to
infer from the chassis number that the gearbox might be the correct unit.
You gotta git under da car to look.

>You indicate a body modification to accomodate a later tranny with the
"high" starter. Are the later MGA bodies slightly different to accept this
box or would I have to modify the body as well as the gearbox?

Well the point of the long dissertation on the variations in gearboxes was
that you could convert the physical configuration to fit your car by
rearranging the tinkertoys.  If you still want to fit the complete "high
starter" gearbox to your earlier 1500 you may need a BFH to open the tunnel
up a bit near the tup on the starter side.

>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>> There were actually four physically different gearboxes fitted to MGAs, not
>> even counting close ratio variations.  They can be converted from one
>> flavor to another by changing (as required) rear housing and mainshaft (and
>> matching propshaft), front housing (and matching engine rear plate), input
>> shaft (and matching clutch disk adn spigot bushing).
>>
>> Early 1500 .... [monster SNIP] ....

Hmmmm.  Maybe I should put this on my web site to make it easier to respond
the next time.  (And of course there will be a next time).  I think I need
to talk to my ISP about more space.  Da rest of yous guys collect too many
cars 'n' parts.  I just collect too many web pages.

Barney Gaylord (still LBC monogamous)
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg