Re: MGA Tranny

To: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: MGA Tranny
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:50:55 -0500
Does anyone have a picture of the Twin Cam gearbox bellhousing?  I'd love
to add it to my repertory.

You see, the reason I don't mention the Twin Cam very often is that the
Twin Cam is so much different than the other MGAs that I tend to class it
over there with the Magnette as a variant model.  <flamesuit_on>

And while I'm thinking about it, I thought the Twin Cam gearbox had a
flanged output coupling similar to the 1600 gearbox, and that the Magnette
gearbox had a sliding spline output coupling like the 1500 units, and of
course the Magnette had the clutch lever up top.  Would someone like to
fill me in on these details?  Or for that matter, anything else that may be
different about either the Twin Cam or the Magnette gearbox.  Always
willing to learn, and it's nice to know which parts might be
interchangeable, and which not.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://ww.ntsource.com/~barneymg

At 11:42 PM 10/21/2000 -0600, Dave Quirt wrote:
>Blake:
>
>Yes. On the Twin-Cam g'box case, the clutch slave rod hole opening on
>the top of the case used for the cluch slave cyl stuff on the Magnette
>is not opened and the pushrod MGA clutch slave stuff is used.
>
>Dave.
>
>> From Bullwinkle:
>> Dave; Is that why the twin cam case has the extra slave cylinder
mounting point on the top of the case? <
>> Blake
>>
>>Dave Quirt wrote:
>>> Guys:
>>> There are actually five major gearbox variations. Barney forgot about
the MGA Twin-Cam case which is based on the MG Magnette case. <<