ignition problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ignition problem
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@tn.freei.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:38:19 -0400
Hello listers,
A little background: I was adjusting the idle speed and mixture on my 74 B
when I finally got it right. I shut the motor off and returned the next day,
and the car would not start.
Since then, I determined that the ignition was at fault, and replaced the
coil, points, condensor, rotor and terminal lead with new parts. The cap and
wires were nearly new when I bought the car in June. I also replaced the old
ground wire with a new wire because the cloth on the old had split in
several places. This installation seems secure. However, none of these new
parts improved the situation.
I then proceeded as though this was a wiring fault and enlisted a friend to
help with some tests. The battery is fully charged. We used a multimeter to
test the white/black wire that plugs into the distributor and it is reading
12 volts. However, the points do not spark when the ignition is on and we
used a screwdriver to open and close them.
We even went and put all the old parts in just to make sure the new parts
were not at fault. BTW, the new parts are Sorenson brand purchased at the
local Advance Auto Parts. Still no spark at the points, and the white/black
wire connection seemed secure on its new terminal.
Strangely, even though no spark was present, sometimes the ignition warning
light would dim slightly and the tach would jump in response to something my
friend would do under the hood.
He and I plan to do more work tomorrow, though we're not sure how to
proceed. Is this a problem that electronic ignition would cure? I have
between 4 and 6 months to get this car roadworthy in time for my wedding.
Thanks for the help,

William Killeffer
1974 MGB that doesn't run, making its brake light problem a non-issue for
now