Re: More on wheel bearings

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>,
Subject: Re: More on wheel bearings
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:38:51 -0500
I restore my cars and bikes, (running gear and cosmetics), to the
nth degree, but that does not mean absolutely everything has to be
replaced, although ease of revisiting is often a consideration.

If wheel bearings are not making noise and are under 100,000 miles
old, if they have not been run extremely maladjusted or dry, if
they have not been inappropriately pressed out, and most critical,
if they pass a clever inspection routine after disassembly and
wash, they can be reused.

I have never heard of a catastrophic wheel brg failure. They will
start to howl or make a grinding noise starting very lightly at
first in the turns and then go on aggravating you forever.

Back when I only had enough northern pesos for gas, we would put
some sawdust in the grease to shut them up - or was that the
gearbox?

Mike L.
60A,67E,59Bug