Re: More on wheel bearings

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: More on wheel bearings
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:32:20 -0600
Hi Max,

  There's nothing unique about the tapered roller bearings used in the
MGB front end. They look like what's in many other cars.  Nothing I can
see that's unique in the spindle and hub design either, except for the
spacer and shims.  It would appear thet the designers wanted to be able
to set the end play more accurately than they felt was possible just by
setting the preload with the spindle nut.  So, they came up with the
spacer and shims.  Personally, I tend to put things back together the
way they were originally.  However, I've met quite a few mechanics and
owners who've left the shims and spacer out, relying on the preload.
They claim it causes no probs.  Me, I don't know. (G)

  YMMV,

  CR