Re: More on wheel bearings

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>,
Subject: Re: More on wheel bearings
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:41:46 -0000
Hi.

Having worked on so many different cars, I've seen countless bodges like the
leather big ends. Here are a few of my favourites...

A flexible hydraulic hose made of plastic fuel line. Blew up like a balloon
each time the pedal was pressed. Fortunately, it was a clutch line-rather
than brake- on a Morris Marina.

A very noisy TVR (Triumph) gearbox filled with paint (household gloss)

MGB lever shocks ditto.

A Morris Minor van axle 'silenced' by being wrapped with about 20 old inner
tubes.

A Daimler V8 with 'sills' (rocker panels) made of wetted newspapers (i.e.
papier mache) with a skin of filler over. The newspapers were dated three
years earlier.

A lightweight E-type Jaguar, which had thrown a conrod. The block had been
filled with glass fibre-someone had even made a mould to reproduce the
cast-iron surface-and nicely painted. This 'repair' fell out, followed by a
load of oil and smoke when the car was being warmed up prior to changing to
hard plugs for a hillclimb.

And my most favourite, brought into the Jaguar Driver's Centre (where I
worked), for 'tuning'...

The elderly owner of a Jaguar XJ6 wanted to save some petrol, so he...

Took out Nos. 1 & 2 pistons.
Fitted leather strips, held in place with Jubilee clips, to the bare crank
journals to keep the oil pressure up.
Ground the relevant lobes off the camshafts.
Gutted the two spark plugs, leaving them without electrodes but filled with
epoxy adehsive so they would seal.

Unfortunately, his 'XJ4' never quite ran properly....

Dave Hill