Re: somebody explain shifting and RPM to me

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: somebody explain shifting and RPM to me
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:43:27 +0000
Dennis wrote:

> Now when I drive my MGB I Bring it to about 5000 - 5500,  grab second
> and stomp on it and stay on it till about 6000 - 6500, Shift it into
> third keeping my foot into it till about 6500 - maybe 6800 then
> fourth....... hehe...

Woo Hoo...  funny... that is how *I* drive too :-)  Pity I have a hard
time getting to 6500 so I may have to grab third a little earlier than
you.  With my tired old engine anything above 5,500 is a waste anyway.

That reminds me.  Our last sprint (a twilight meet - I love racing under
lights:-) of the year is next weekend and I have a feeling my year long
prediction will come true in that I may have the little car on a flatbed
at the end of the meet.  I got some engine problems and have officially
just run out of budget and time (work commitments over the next week) to
do anything about them.

Doing things in order of what I can afford first, I just put on my
tricky new (thanks Neil :-) stainless steel header/exhaust/'turbo'
muffler and in the process of pulling things to bits and starting
race-prep I found/confirmed I have a cracked head (must have to be
involved in motorsport... but that is another thing).  Cooling system
being pressurised and blowing coolant out of the radiator cap under
'thrashing' conditions was a good indication of this :-)

I won't talk about a little damage to #4 exhaust valve... just tightened
everything down and hope for the best.

Hey, guys... she gets the total re-build after this last race but not
until early next year when I have 'saved up' my pennies a little more.
So... I gotta try and get her through ONE MORE MEETING.

What do you think my chances are, eh?  What a nasty thing to do to a
lovely, 32 year old car!

Eric
'68MGB MkII