Re: Fw: Replacement Heater Valve

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Replacement Heater Valve
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:40:37 -0800
One thing I've noticed about the heater valve is that the range of motion
of the valve lever (from full open to full closed) is slightly larger
than the range of motion of the cable when actuated by the control knob.
What this means is that you have to carefully judge how you adjust the
cable, including the free play. You kind of have to decide if you want
maximum flow, or if you want the valve to close completely. If you go for
positive shutoff, it tends to stop opening at about the 3/4 to 7/8th open
position. If you adjust the cable so it will open all the way, it tends
to stop before the valve is quite closed. I think this is what accounts
for the wildly varying experiences -- "hot all the time" vs "never hot
enough".

In this climate, I chose "positive shutoff", but I suppose it would be
worth it to try a slight readjustment each spring and fall.

Tim Economu had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149