MG's and Alfa's?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG's and Alfa's?
From: Tomsaudi@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:01:05 EST
What a quandry I'm in. Grab a beer and ponder this one with me...

My wife calls from work, and tells me her boss has an  '87 Alfa Romeo Spider
Veloce with under 50,000 miles that is in storage, that he never uses, and is
prepared to practically "give it away". (I've yet to find what give away
translates to in US dollars).

My first roadster ever was a 1986 Alfa Romeo Graduate, so yes, I do have an
admiration for this car, and to have another Alfa would obviously rekindle
old feelings. That said, and now this is the voice of reason talking, I need
a fourth car like I need a hole in the head, between my wife's Audi, my Range
Rover, and of course, my beloved Midget.

Now, to make things even more complicated, I had been kicking around the idea
of saving some money to buy myself an MGB GT. Not in the near term, but maybe
2-3 years from now. Yet, on the other hand, I have this Alfa Romeo taunting
me for cheap. I suppose I could keep her for a couple years, and maybe even
sell her for a profit.

I know many of you are British car fanatics, more specifically MG nuts. Since
my daily driver and my toy is British, that should say something for me too.
But I really enjoy all cars, and I've owned French, German, Italian and
British cars.

I'm in no hurry to make any kind of decision at this point, although my wife
told me i I want it I can buy it (and no, you cannot have my wife). I've done
alot of thinking out loud here, but I guess the root of my question is if
anyone here owns both an MG and an Alfa.

Look forward to your comments, or a smack in the head....

Tom
78 Midget
89 Range Rover