Re: Run-on Problems

To: Longstreth24@aol.com
Subject: Re: Run-on Problems
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:26:04 -0600
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:09:18 EST Longstreth24@aol.com writes:
> Just bought a '62 MGA Mk II and I'm having some trouble with run-on
> after
> turning off the ignition switch.  I've played with the carbs (tried
> running
> richer) and have adjusted the timing, but I'm having no luck.
>
> A read that chamfering the tops of the cylinders might help prevent
> this, but
> that sure sounds extreme.

My 1622 motor would do this all the time, too.  Even after a complete
rebuild with new pistons, valves, and all carbon removed.  I think the
problem is that it is just a high compression engine and without lead
boosting the octane it will diesel.  I just learned to bump it in second
gear (foot on brake) to stop it.

In addition to Barney's suggestions, the A-Antics tech manual suggests
rounding the "widow's peak" between the valves on the head.  The metal
comes to a point there and supposedly can cause a hot spot.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer