Re: Run-on Problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Run-on Problems
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:50:48 EST
In a message dated 11/20/00 2:34:22 PM !!!First Boot!!!, dmeadow@juno.com
writes:

> My 1622 motor would do this all the time, too.  Even after a complete
> rebuild with new pistons, valves, and all carbon removed.  I think the
> problem is that it is just a high compression engine and without lead
> boosting the octane it will diesel.  I just learned to bump it in second
> gear (foot on brake) to stop it.

My 71 B will diesel if given a chance. I found that dieseling is VERY
sensitive to rpm and throttle. If you want to experience some really dramatic
dieseling, hold the throttle down when you turn the ignition off. A low idle
speed will help reduce dieseling. Working the clutch (foot on brake) to shed
some rpm just as the ignition is turned off, works great. Always make sure
the choke is all the way in before switching off (so the fast idle is off).
Octane booster helps but is an expensive pain in the butt. Don't use regular
or you'll get pinging to go along with even worse dieseling!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336