Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>, Rick Ehlert
Subject: Re: Speed Kills (No LBC content)
From: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:09:50 -0500
>You came up behind the cop and slowed to the cops speed.  The cop then
>pulled you over later for doing 85 in a 55.  How did he determine that
>you were traveling 85?

I would assume it was because you were travelling in the speed lane with a
group of cars he could have easily tracked by radar at 85. He knew you were
in that lane because that is the lane you dropped out of to come up behind him.

>Can they have a rear facing mobile radar in a Z-28?

Yes

He probably 'got you here' but, it was a VERY cheap pinch on his part. Eric
had mentioned that he might have gotten summonsed because the officer did
not like being followed and I think that is maybe the big reason he chose
you. Maybe he saw it as a challenge to his 'Alpha male' status that his
little mind thought he had. Law enforcement gets many very sincere,
idealistic young people in it many more than in the past but still a few
insecure bullies pass through the process. He may have perceived your move
as   threatening to him (subconsciously).  Someone also wrote asking how he
could say you were the driver if he lost contact with you. Sometimes that
does work, in pursuits this does happen sometimes but in this case it would
have been very easy for him to make out enough of you to make an accurate
ID to compare to later as the operator simply by viewing you in the rear
view mirror. Even if he could not in this case, it would prevent him from
saying he could.

I work every day with Law Enforcement. I worked for a while as an officer.
I have great respect for them 'but'  all types do work in the profession,
just as there are crooked mechanics and bad financial planners.

You could go for a trial and hope he does not show up. You could ask that
he provide evidence that he had calibrated his unit at the start of his
shift. You could ask for evidence of his being currently certified to use
the radar unit (it used to require periodic certification). There are
potential holes to explore.

Carl French
67MGB
80 MGB