Re: Questions about air compressors

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: Re: Questions about air compressors
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:45:21 -0800
Ken is absolutely right!!  The difficulty comes in determining what is
"big."  I am now looking to replace my 4 hp, two stage, 220v, 20 gallon
unit with something bigger for blasting, HVLP, etc.  This was a "big"
compressor 10 years ago, but isn't big enough any longer.

Beware of big tanks with small compressors.  Granted, a big tank will
give you lots of air volume and will definitely save on compressor wear,
but it's the pump that will maintain pressure, and  the bigger the
better.  I've seen some single stage 4 hp compressors mounted on top of
big vertical tanks, and that just isn't going to cut it for me.

I'm getting at least a 6 hp, 220v, two stage compressor, and I may even
get it on top of a huge tank unit and install it outside.  My neighbors
are not too close . . .
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT