Re: Questions about air compressors

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions about air compressors
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:10:16 -0800
Steve:

My experiance:

1) Air tools always seem to require more CFM than stated on their spec sheets.

2) A 5-6 CFM compressor is too small for disk sanders, bead blasters, grinders,
and wheel cut off tools for any sort of use longer than a minute.

3) Don't go by the horsepower of the motor.  I've seen 5 hp units on compressors
as small as 6 CFM at 90 psi.  A 10-11 CFM compressor is marginal for some of the
above tools.

4) A 1/2 drive air impact tool needs at least 120 psi to loosen most properly
torqued lug nuts.  If the nuts where tighted at a tire shop, you will still need
a breaker bar to get them loose.

5) A larger tank helps with intermitant use with the above tools but for
continues use as required in most of the above tools you need a high output
unit.

6) Since I still have my 6.4 CFM 110V unit along with a new 220 volt 11.2 CFM
unit I
plan on hooking the two together.  This will require dropping the cut out switch
on the larger unit from 120 to 100 psi so the smaller units blow off valve
doesn't
kick in.

Blake