RE: MG Owner Needs Jaguar Advice

To: "Rich Peterson" <kerry3@earthlink.net>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG Owner Needs Jaguar Advice
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:25:27 -0700
I've owned an 84, and do own an 87.  They are essentially the same car, the 84
was VERY expensive, the 87 has been cheap.  Go
figure.

First, before you buy, you should take it to a Jaguar mechanic, this is a guy
that works on Jaguars ... hopefully nothing else, and
have him do a pre-purchase inspection.  Taking it to any other mechanic would
be a mistake.  If you have a strong heart take it to
the dealer.

The 84s have a weak transmission, pay particular attention to that.  Make sure
everything works, everything.  If something doesn't
work it will be expensive to fix.  You will have the tendency to say, "ah it's
only an antenna I can fix that".  You probably can't,
or won't want to, when you see what is involved, and you'll find the cost of
the replacement antenna is $250.  That's the part, not
the part and installation.  See what I mean?  If the rear calipers leak look
out, you have to remove the rear end of the car to
replace them.  Shocks cost $1500,  If the engine doesn't leak oil check to see
if there is any oil in it.

A $5000 Jag sedan is probably cheaper than a $1500 one, think about that for
awhile.

Check the Jag Lovers web site http://www.jag-lovers.org/  there is a lot of
information avail bile on the site.

Good luck.