Re: MG Owner Needs Jaguar Advice

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Owner Needs Jaguar Advice
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:02:28 EST
I repectfully disagree with the following:
"
Steering wheels coming off, half the lights not working, - that's the way they
came off the assembly line. Eighties Jags had the worst union environment and
bad quality reputation."

And this... well this is just a load of crap:

"The good news is that any example with 94K and running must be one of the
exceptions to the rule."

John Egan performed miracles starting in 1981, and by 1986 Jaguar sold a pretty
respectable automobile.  By 1989 you had a very solid car.  These cars were
ALWAYS engineered well, and comparing any other British built cars to them
really demonstrates this.  When you look at a 73 MGB and a 73 XJ-6 you realize
just how flimsy the MGB is... not that I don't love my MGB!

My 1986 XJ-S had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it for $5000.  It now has
107,000 miles and an XJS is goof for 250,000 miles.  Owners of these cars know
that the XJ-series of cars are potentially cars-for-life.

I am the proud owner of an XJ-S... very simliar to the XJ6.  Brakes?  Try $25
each for rotors and dropping the rear axle isn't that much trouble... its only
four bolts.  Its a unit designed so it could be assembled off the car.  Sure if
you pay someone else it will expensive, but lets be serious...  a brake job is
NOT $1500!

A replacement power antennea is NOT $250.  I bought mine for twelve dollars at
Parts America.  Its not Jag specific, but neither was the factory part.

Shocks are not $1500.  The car takes two shocks and four struts.   If you get a
full set of Bilstiens, the most expensive shocks sold, its $600 out of
Hemmings.  If you get Monroes like everyone else you're out about $350 for a
full set of six.

If you want this car, and they are lookers, buy it.  $1300 isn't even enough
money to be worried about.  Something serious blows up?  You are hardly buying
a Lotus, just scrap it.

   -John