Re: Highway Travel/Overdrive

To: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Highway Travel/Overdrive
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:48:59 -0800
Actually, we drove MUCH faster more of the time, as long as we had the
OD!  The Interstates were only 10 years old in the West, and there was
no congestion, even in the city centers in most cases.  I-5 through
Oregon had a 75 mph speed limit, and everyone went at least 85 or more,
but I couldn't handle the noise even at 75 for very long.  That's
another reason so many baby boomers are getting hearing aids--noisy
LBCs!

I drove our '65 (the early Bs have absolutely no sound deadening) for
only one year until I couldn't stand the racket anymore and bought an OD
tranny for $150. (In 1970, that's $644 in today's inflated dollars, a
lot of money for a guy just out of college and working for $14,000/yr).

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT