Re: Rear Wheel Cylinders

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>,
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Cylinders
From: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:36:18 -0600
Bill,
    Could it really be this simple?  Is it necessary to use an extra shim to
take up any movement between cylinder and backing plate.  The original E
ring of course is bent to take up any movement between the two areas.  Any
back and forth or side to side movement when the brakes are applied, I would
think would be detrimental to the effectiveness of your braking
ability.
   I'm  seriously hoping this is a good fix because I too am tired of the
hit and miss on these snap rings.  They usually end up flying clear across
the garage five or six times before they find there way home. ( Bent and
scarred beyond recognition, but still effective, so far).
    I did view the suggested web sight on using the vise grips and that does
work. But the part of putting one end and the center of the snap ring in the
groove, at the same time, while the other end of said ring dangles off in
space, doesn't seem physically possible. A snap ring is just that, meant to
be "snapped" into place not gingerly pried. Correct me if I'm wrong(that
goes unsaid)

Thanks for this thread, it could cure one of my major head aches in this
hobby.      Mark