Re: Winter oil

To: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:12:48 -0700
I use 10-40 during the winter and 20-50 during the summer (those are the
only two seasons we have in Montana or so it is said). Even then, its
normal to have the engine turn over slower and initial oil pressure is only
about 55-60 psi until it warms. I suppose 5-30 might be a tad better.

One thing I learned with my first MGB back in college is that the pour
point of 10-40 motor oil is still about ten to twenty degrees below zero
(F). That means always keep a spare quart of oil inside where its warm  -
you can't add a quart if its 20 below and you left it in your trunk it
won't pour or if it does, its really slow.

I also have a lower radiator hose heater in my car for those really cold
days - its a standard 1 1/4 inch diameter one I believe and it just barely
fits, but it works great. When I bought an 18V engine for my 71BGT, it had
a freezer plug heater which didn't work and I was never able to locate a
replacement - it would have been better than the lower radiator hose.

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT  soon to be parts car