Re: Tools

To: Thomas Pokrefke <pokrefke1@home.com>
Subject: Re: Tools
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:28:25 -0500
Hi MG Listers,

I've been keeping quiet lately, but cannot stop myself from putting my 2 cents
into this. Sears' Craftsman hand tools have always been great for me because
when and if I ever break one, or get paint on the screwdriver handle, I
"waltz" right into any flavor Sears store without having to find a receipt or
some other proof of purchase to get a new replacement. I've bought other tools
with a lifetime warranty, and when they inevitably did break, I didn't have
the vaguest idea how to get a warranty replacement, but if I did, by the time
I shipped it back to Pennsyltucky or wherever it had to go, I would have spent
the cost of a Craftsman replacement. Maybe if Snap-On or Matco or one or
another professional tool trucks would come to my house weekly for the once in
a month purchase I might make, I suppose I would consider switching from
Craftsman, but I don't expect that to happen soon. Craftsman may not be the
best, but if they aren't among them, I have never had an experience that
explains why. My Craftsman tools have served me well for nearly 40 years and
at least 15 British car restorations; sorry Ed, that constitutes a record few
other products I have ever owned can approach.

BTW, thanks to a lot of encouragement and pressure from my son James (the
young one), my 1974 MGB-GT is roadworthy again. What did it require? James
installed a new radio for me two Summers back; I put some fresh fuel in it
along with a bottle of carb cleaner. I put some air in the tires and topped up
all the fluids and changed the hardly used oil. She still runs like a clock
after almost 5 years sitting idle. When Spring arrives in 2001 we'll go for a
long ride together like we did in the old days. I already cleared it with the
two wheeled Beemer she shares the garage with... Beemer doesn't mind sharing
me with the soon-to-be 27 year old GT. The GT and I have been together for 17
years.

Well, I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and a totally
octagonal New Year. Keep 'em on the road and away from the salt.

Jim