Re: Take a Seat!

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Take a Seat!
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:30:42 -0500 (EST)
Hi Dan,
        Funny about your message. Saturday, I decided to install the new
bottom straps on my driver's seat. The seat covering is in good
condition but I was tired of bouncing off the floor.
        Last fall, I decided to find an upholster, add a 1-2" cushion
piece to the flat bottom and replace the rubber bottom straps. Finally
did it. A local Italian upholsterer thought it was a kick to be working
on an MGB seat. His grandchildren were ecstatic and expect me to visit
in the Spring.

        Anyway, I reinstalled the seat and the difference was amazing.
Comfort, support, all I wanted but be warned. I don't slide back and
forth much but it is now more difficult. Not sure why. I kept all the
pieces to keep the seat above the carpeting.  Anyway, I have a
suspicion that the extra cushion piece was not really necessary. The
replacement straps were terribly necessary so for my SO's seat, I'll
only do the straps and see what happens.

        I am assuming that the round seat switch at the base of the
seat is connected to the seat-belt warning buzzer. Is it?

Anyway, I left it out.

        You know, it's sortof fun to drive top down in this weather
(snow...20-30 degrees F) but not for long. Well, it's fun for 5 minutes at
least without heat. I think I look like the masked marauder only people
look at the car, not me. Haven't been stopped by the cops for lunacy yet.

        So what material and what color are you going to recover the seats
with?

Best,

Bill
'76B

 On Thu, 4 Jan
2001, Dan DiBiase
wrote:

> Well, I'm pretty excited! Just spent an hour stripping the seats from the
> 66 B project car! They were covered with a red vinyl cover with black
> piping and were incredibly faded and stained. The cushions were completely
> shot. The frames, however, are in really good shape, with some surface
> rust on the bottom frame. I also discovered some of the original
> upholstery (black with red piping!) and a bit of the black carpeting that
> covered the lower portion of the seatback on the rear.
>
> On the topic of that rust - it's very light; what is the best way to
> remove it? Are there any particular products that I should use? I am going
> to repaint the frames black.
>
> This was really the first thing I've actually done to the car since I got
> it in late September, other than gathering missing parts. The project
> finally begins! Goal is to be on the road by my 45th birthday, a little
> over 2 years from now.
>

> =====
> Dan DiBiase
> Dayton, NJ
> '76 MGB Tourer - Brooklands Green - My Driver!
> '66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer - faded Tartan Red - My Project!
> NAMGBR #5-2328

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."