Re: paint?

To: Doug <dprather@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: paint?
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:56:27 -0700
My recommendation is that you first talk to the paint shop you are going to
use.  I know that the guy I use does a great job on my cars, and he is a bit
expensive.  However, I also know that the most important thing in a good paint
job is proper prep.  I've asked my local paint and body guy about doing similar
things, and he says that if I want to strip it, ok;  remove body panels - ok,
but don't try the filler job or the primer job because he wants to guarentee his
work, and will not do so if someone wants to prime, and fill themselves.  As a
matter of fact, he won't even take the job if I primer it myself (unless I let
him sand it all back off).  And I offered to use Wurth 98% zinc - epoxy primer -
about the best stuff you can buy.

Phil Bates
52 MG-TD replica (VW)
58 MGA
66 Citroen DS21 Pallas
66 Land Rover 88
67 MGB
69 porsche 911T targa (soon to be converted to soft window)
75 Jaguar XJ12C