Re: paint?

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: paint?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:35:51 -0500
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Michael Lupynec wrote:
> Main body shell has seams and would cost close to a $1000 CDN .

So lets say $600USD retail, and I'm trying to scam a special "friend of a
friend" price. Is the main problem with seams that it takes more work to
clean the acid out afterwards?

As for the underside, I'm confused. How the hell do I flip an MGB roadster
chassis upside down so I'm not laying under it with noxious chemicals like
davinci in the sistine chapel?

> Soooo.....I go at the body shell paint with aviation stripper.
> Gloves, masks, putty knife scrapers, 4 cases beer and as many true
> friends as you can con into a Saturday afternoon strip party.
> Finish with metal prep (phosphoric acid) to prevent rusting. If
> undersides are tarred - propane torch and thin putty knife to the
> remove bulk of it and if your elbows are still on scour with
> lacquer thinner. Then pull out the sand blaster and lightly scour
> those surfaces to bare metal. While the blaster is running
> (between clogs) get all the convoluted tight contoured areas that
> the paint stripper couldn't get at. And then go get a lifetime
> supply of QTips.

The whole process sounds just lovely. :|

As for body panels, has anyone experienced the Fiberglass panels that Smooth
Line ( http://www.smoothline.com ) sells?

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |