Re: paint?

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, Doug <dprather@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: paint?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:01:26 -0500
SOMEHOW THIS GOT BACK INTO MY ''IN'' MAILBOX AND I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WENT
OUT SO I AM SENDING IT AGAIN - STRANGE THINGS THESE COMPUTERS!

Phil/Doug

Seeing your thread I thought you might be interested in my experience.
I am doing a proper resto job and I started with a 1970 MGB GT shell.  It
was stripped bare, then dipped so it went down to bare metal.  WOW what a
mess.  The pristine shell was a somewhat holy!  I put on all sorts of new
panels (obtained at 1/4 of the price from member of list) and it was
professionally done. Result? Brand new shell if not better.  Now it is
being painted by a slow but perfectionist chap (he does museum cars)  He is
very very experienced and chats on paint for hours.  He maintains that a
good (expensive) epoxy primer must be used on a CLEAN base (thus the
dipping)  He says that prep is what makes the paint job, which I have heard
many times before!  The top coat he said is the easy part.  Cost?  Well it
is in Canadian so States-side bods multiple by 0.65.
Dipping $1,200
Body work $5,700
Paint $4,500
Panels $600

At 08:56 PM 1/26/01 -0700, Phil Bates wrote:
 >My recommendation is that you first talk to the paint shop you are going to
 >use.  I know that the guy I use does a great job on my cars, and he is a bit
 >expensive.  However, I also know that the most important thing in a good
paint
 >job is proper prep.  I've asked my local paint and body guy about doing
 >similar
 >things, and he says that if I want to strip it, ok;  remove body panels - ok,
 >but don't try the filler job or the primer job because he wants to
 >guarentee his
 >work, and will not do so if someone wants to prime, and fill
themselves.  As a
 >matter of fact, he won't even take the job if I primer it myself (unless
I let
 >him sand it all back off).  And I offered to use Wurth 98% zinc - epoxy
 >primer -
 >about the best stuff you can buy.
 >
 >Phil Bates
 >52 MG-TD replica (VW)
 >58 MGA
 >66 Citroen DS21 Pallas
 >66 Land Rover 88
 >67 MGB
 >69 porsche 911T targa (soon to be converted to soft window)
 >75 Jaguar XJ12C
 >
 >Doug wrote:
 >
 > > I'm stripping a '65 B to the frame and have a few paint questions. The
plan
 > > is to disassemble the B now, and then started stripping and painting the
 > > bits and pieces come Summer. I'll eventually have the body painted at a
 > shop
 > > when I'm ready to put it all back together, but what about the seat
frames,
 > > inside the wings, under the dash, etc.? Can I pull it off with spray
paint?

 > > Anyone recommend a good paint for cockpit interior? And what about heavy
 > > weather areas like under the wings?
 > >
 > > Thanks
 > >
 > > Doug Prather
 > >
 > > '65 pull handle B