Re: OD Tranny

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: OD Tranny
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 19:59:51 -0600
At 05:19 PM 2/3/2001 -0700, Phil Bates wrote:
>I believe you are correct about needing an early 3 synchro trans, however,
I think (I've never seen it done) that you can swap out the input shaft
from an early 3 synchro trans into a later 3 synchro trans, and have it
work.  I think Barney commented on this at one time. - Pipe up Barney if
you did.

Hey, wadda'el am I supposed to know about MGB?  I only got this one MGA in
my stable.  Well, okay, it is gradually evolving in that general direction.
 So put this in your pipe.

You can mate a 5-main to a 3-sync by using the small flywheel from an early
5-main (18GB engine, circa '65-'67), and a few other adapter type parts.
Because of the starter location, the 4-sync requires the larger flywheel,
which will not bolt to a 3-main crank.

If I was that sort of masochist I could maybe imagine some bastardized
machining going on to bore out a large flywheel to mate with the large
flange on the 3-main crank, but I've never heard of it being done.  Might
be easier to get someone to make up a custom flywheel from scratch.

OTOH, I seem to recall Larry Hoy (maybe) talking about fitting an early
5-main small flywheel to a 4-sync gearbox for racing purposes (wanting the
use the lighter flywheel).  I think his solution was to make a special
engine rear plate to put the starter in the appropriate location, in which
case the starter bolts threaded into the rear plate rather than into the
bellhousing.

In any case, I don't recall that the 3-main can bolt to a 4-sync with any
off the shelf parts.  Something would have to be custom machined.

$.015

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg