RE: OD Tranny

To: <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD Tranny
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:19:31 -0700
I can't see any reason this transmission should be passed up.  The early
starter is a Bendix type which engages from the back side
of the flywheel.  Therefore there is a need to cut a hole through the
bellhousing to accomodate this starter (since the OD is
obviously the later 4 syncro type).  A later engine with the newer starter will
still fit, however you'll have a hole in the bell
housing.  I don't think the hole becomes any kind of an issue, except a place
for debris to enter the bell housing.  I suspect
leaving it open would be fine.  After all the early transmissions had the hole
too.  Maybe others have a different idea.

Seems to me $300 for a OD car without an engine is good deal.

Good luck.

PS If  the car is near Denver and you don't want it, let me know.

Larry Hoy

>A week or two ago I queried the list on the wisdom of purchasing a $300 parts
>car that contained a Laycock OD transmission ...
snip
>he found that whoever refitted the engine had drilled out a portion of the
>bell housing on the OD transmission to
>make room for the earlier model starter motor on the 18GB engine ...
snip