Re: MGB Winter/Choke Question

To: mgbob@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Winter/Choke Question
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:24:10 EST
In a message dated 2/18/01 10:50:52 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mgbob@juno.com
writes:

>   I drove my '72 GT today for a club event, about 40 miles in coastal CT,
> air temps 25-30 degrees.    With radiator 1/3 covered with cardboard, and
> the oil cooler completely taped over with duct tape, the temp needle
> never got above 1/3 of the way from C to N, and that's with a 195 degree
> thermostat.

       I drove my B in similar temps today on a trip and had a similar
experience with the temp gauge. I didn't have the radiator or the oil cooler
blocked in any way. I had to leave the choke partially open the whole way. Do
the carbs need to be re-adjusted for winter running? I notice my B seems much
more sensitive to the choke setting than my TD. I believe I could run the TD
year round without even using the choke. (Maybe long stroke engines like the
XPAG aren't too fussy about the air/fuel mixture?)

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - NAMGBR #7-3336