Re: MGB Winter/Choke Question

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mgbob@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Winter/Choke Question
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:26:19 -0700
At 11:24 PM 2/18/2001 -0500, BobMGT@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/18/01 10:50:52 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mgbob@juno.com
>writes:
>
>Do
>the carbs need to be re-adjusted for winter running? I notice my B seems much
>more sensitive to the choke setting than my TD. I believe I could run the TD
>year round without even using the choke. (Maybe long stroke engines like the
>XPAG aren't too fussy about the air/fuel mixture?)

If there is a big temperature difference between winter and summer
temperatures, you will need to readjust your carbs.  I use to get
sophisticated with my settings but eventually found the default setting of
"12 flats" (two full rotations of the nut downward) works for warm
climates. But during the winter, I set mine down about two more flats
(sides) or a total of 14 flats. It is essential for smooth running at
really cold temperatures, near or below the 0 F mark.

This is for the HS carbs. You mention your car is a 72 so you may have the
HIF carbs, meaning the adjustment will be different but probably a similar
principle. My son's project B has HIF carbs so I'll know more on how they
work soon.

David
67 BGT