Re: engine ID LINK

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine ID LINK
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:19:04 -0800
Hmm, I'm not aware of a source that can identify the casting numbers. For
all I know the casting never changed. All the blocks had the big "1800". The
head is obviously not correct for your car, being an "air injection" from
68-71 , but as it is a different color than the block, it doesn't
necessarily tell us anything about the bottom end. I can't really tell if
that's a fuel pump blanking plate on the driver's side -- if it is then you
have an 18V block from 72-on (which should be painted black... curiouser and
curiouser). The front side cover with the breather pipe looks funny to me,
also. But I'm not that much help since my B also has a UFO (Unidentified
Funky Object) engine. It's a BHM Gold Seal replacement motor, but the number
is beyond the sequence that Clausager lists in his book, so I really don't
know anything about the internals. I see that someone has removed your
engine number tag, which, while annoying, at least is evidence that someone
attempted to rebuild this lump at some time (they are destroyed in the
tanking process), and didn't just plop it in straight from the wrecker's.
This may also tend to reinforce the supposition that the head and the block
are two different animals. Ain't this fun?

If you are not concerned with "numbers matching" authenticity, just about
any block would do for a base to rebuild. But you probably want to get rid
of that nasty head with its tendency to crack, IMO...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149