Re: Odd camshaft wear...

To: "Ernest Shirley" <ernestern@hot.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Odd camshaft wear...
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:51:20 -0600
At 08:39 PM 2/27/2001 -0600, Ernest Shirley wrote:
>.... rebuilding the engine of my 78B ....  The first and last lobe on the
shaft showed signs of extreme wear...I mean they were practically round,
yet the other six lobes have hardly worn a bit.  I would have thought that
all the lobes would have worn out roughly at the same time. ....

Other than being worn out, nothing particularly unusual there.  The
camshaft is hard surfaced, but the hardness is quite shallow.  It will hold
up for a long time, but once it wears through the hard surface it will wear
down a lot in short order.  As such it is common to find one or two lobes
totally frazzled while the others are still in fairly good condition.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg